This gene encodes one member of a family of translation repressor proteins. The protein directly interacts with eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E (eIF4E), which is a limiting component of the multisubunit complex that recruits 40S ribosomal subunits to the 5' end of mRNAs. Interaction of this protein with eIF4E inhibits complex assembly and represses translation. This protein is phosphorylated in response to various signals including UV irradiation and insulin signaling, resulting in its dissociation from eIF4E and activation of mRNA translation. [provided by RefSeq, Jul 2008]
Repressor of translation initiation that regulates EIF4E activity by preventing its assembly into the eIF4F complex: hypophosphorylated form competes with EIF4G1/EIF4G3 and strongly binds to EIF4E, leading to repress translation. In contrast, hyperphosphorylated form dissociates from EIF4E, allowing interaction between EIF4G1/EIF4G3 and EIF4E, leading to initiation of translation. Mediates the regulation of protein translation by hormones, growth factors and other stimuli that signal through the MAP kinase and mTORC1 pathways.
| Product Description || Regulates eIF4E activity by preventing its assembly into the eIF4F complex. Mediates the regulation of protein translation by hormones, growth factors and other stimuli that signal through the MAP kinase and mTORC1 pathways. |
| Tested Applications ||WB IHC |
| Image || |
| ||Immunohistochemical analysis of paraffin-embedded human breast carcinoma, using 4E-BP1 (phospho-Thr36) antibody (#11222). |
| ||Western blot analysis of extracts from MDA-MB-435 cells, untreated or EGF-treated (200 ng/ml, 30min), using 4E-BP1 (Ab-36) antibody (#21215, Lane 1 and 2) and 4E-BP1 (phospho-Thr36) antibody (#11222, Lane 3 and 4).|
| Species Reactivities ||Human Mouse Rat |
| Immunogen ||Peptide sequence around phosphorylation site of threonine 36(S-T-T(p)-P-G) derived from Human 4E-BP1. |
| Storage Instructions ||Store at -20°C |
| Clonality ||Polyclonal Antibody |
- Effect of temperature on the conformation of natively unfolded protein 4E-BP1 in aqueous and mixed solutions containing trifluoroethanol and hexafluoroisopropanol. Hackl EV. Protein J, 2015 Feb. PMID 25503819
- Overexpression of phosphorylated 4E-binding protein 1 predicts lymph node metastasis and poor prognosis of Chinese patients with hilar cholangiocarcinoma. Fang Z, et al. Med Oncol, 2014 May. PMID 24706262
- 4E-BP1 regulates the sensitivity of human glioma cells to chemotherapy through PI3K/Akt/mTOR-independent pathway. Zhu HL, et al. Neuropathology, 2014 Jun. PMID 24354477
- Expression level of phosphorylated-4E-binding protein 1 in radical nephrectomy specimens as a prognostic predictor in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitors. Nishikawa M, et al. Med Oncol, 2014 Jan. PMID 24307346
- Aerosol delivery of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E-binding protein 1 effectively suppresses lung tumorigenesis in K-rasLA1 mice. Chang SH, et al. Cancer Gene Ther, 2013 Jun. PMID 23640516
- Insulin-dependent stimulation of protein synthesis by phosphorylation of a regulator of 5'-cap function.
Pause A., Belsham G.J., Gingras A.-C., Donze O., Lin T.-A., Lawrence J.C. Jr., Sonenberg N.
Nature 371:762-767(1994) [PubMed] [Europe PMC] Cited for: NUCLEOTIDE SEQUENCE [MRNA], FUNCTION, INTERACTION WITH EIF4E, PHOSPHORYLATION. Tissue: Placenta.
- Identification of multiple genes and immunogenic epitopes of pancreatic cancer cells.
Ito M., Shichijo S., Tsuda N., Ochi M., Harashima N., Saito N., Itoh K.
Submitted (JUN-2000) to the EMBL/GenBank/DDBJ databasesCited for: NUCLEOTIDE SEQUENCE [MRNA].
- Cloning of human full-length CDSs in BD Creator(TM) system donor vector.
Kalnine N., Chen X., Rolfs A., Halleck A., Hines L., Eisenstein S., Koundinya M., Raphael J., Moreira D., Kelley T., LaBaer J., Lin Y., Phelan M., Farmer A.
Submitted (MAY-2003) to the EMBL/GenBank/DDBJ databasesCited for: NUCLEOTIDE SEQUENCE [LARGE SCALE MRNA].
- Cloning of human full open reading frames in Gateway(TM) system entry vector (pDONR201).
Ebert L., Schick M., Neubert P., Schatten R., Henze S., Korn B.
Submitted (JUN-2004) to the EMBL/GenBank/DDBJ databasesCited for: NUCLEOTIDE SEQUENCE [LARGE SCALE MRNA].
- Complete sequencing and characterization of 21,243 full-length human cDNAs.
Ota T., Suzuki Y., Nishikawa T., Otsuki T., Sugiyama T., Irie R., Wakamatsu A., Hayashi K., Sato H., Nagai K., Kimura K., Makita H., Sekine M., Obayashi M., Nishi T., Shibahara T., Tanaka T., Ishii S.
Cited for: NUCLEOTIDE SEQUENCE [LARGE SCALE MRNA]. Tissue: Brain.